Saturday, July 26, 1997 

Police 'now have'
Marijoy slay suspects

PNP scours Carcar, Barili for................ Jacqueline Chiong

     A TEAM looking into the brutal killing of Marijoy Chiong has identified suspects, but is still getting more proof to pin them down. 

     Sr. Supt. Fritz Quiñanola, head of task force Chiong, declined to name the suspects since the PNP evidence is not enough to arrests the assailants of Marijoy, 21. Her sister, Jacqueline, 23, remains missing.

     At the capitol, Gov. Pablo Garcia yesterday approved the release of a P25,000 reward to any person who can lead the police to the Chiongs' abductors.

     The amount, Garcia said, will be taken from the budget of the Provincial Peace and Order Council (PPOC).

     At City Hall, Mayor Alvin Garcia also assured that the City Government will raise at least P50,00 as bounty to those who can name the abductors. 

     He said the City Government will have to solicit from the private sector to avoid problems with the Commission on Audit (COA).

     The mayor also asked the police to look into the disappearance of the Chiong sisters, and later Marijoy's death. He likewise asked City Police Chief Antonio Enteria Jr. to coordinate with other agencies in arresting the perpetuators.

   Quiñanola, police regional (PRO) 7 deputy director for administration, said they  still have to establish the motive for the abduction and the killing.

     Marijoy and Jacqueline disappeared on the evening of July 16 while waiting for a ride at the Ayala Center after their father failed to fetch them.

     The body of a girl found dumped in a remote cliff in Carcar town last week was confirmed by matching fingerprints Thursday to be that of Marijoy.

     Quiñanola remains hopeful, however, that Jacqueline is still alive.

     "Since there is no proof yet of her death, we presume that she is still alive," he said.

     The newly-created task force which is composed of the Criminal Investigation Group (CIG) and the police offices of Cebu city, Cebu province, and Carcar met for the first time yesterday.

     Believing that Jacqueline's abductors had kept her in Carcar and Barili, Quiñanola ordered Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) Chief Mario Potot to send a special team to the southern towns.

     Potot could not be reached in his office for comment because he was reportedly in Balamban. 

     Quiñanola also directed the PNPO crime laboratory to lift fingerprints from the items found from Marijoy such as masking tape, handcuffs, clothes and an apple-type grenade.

     The grenade was recovered down the 150-meter deep ravine in Sitio Tan-awan, Barangay Guadalupe, Carcar where Marijoy's body was found.

      At a funeral home in Banilad, the Chiong family still refused to be interviewed by reporters.

     The victim's mother, aunt and some relatives were around when Sun.Star Daily dropped by the Rolling Hills Memorial Homes past noon.

     But a source said the mother believes her daughters were victims of drug-crazed persons. 

    The source added that the family decided not to talk to reporters after the name of businessman Peter Lim was dragged into the case. They resented the report that Chiong and Lim are business associates.

   Dionisio Chiong is a purchasing manager of Lim's Hilton Heavy equipment in Mandaue city.

   Mayor Garcia said the girl's parents, who had sought his help, are "blank" on the motive of the abduction. They had asked him to put up mobile checkpoints in the city, in the hope of finding their daughters. 

   Garcia agreed that the incident may be drug-related. 

   "Once in a while, there are crazy people who can penetrate our relative peace and order in Cebu," he said.

   He said the City will provide police protection to the family of Marijoy and Jacqueline.

   "This is the first time this (kind of incident) happened in my term," he said, adding this might affect the city's image.

   At the Capitol, the governor said the different angles of the incident will be taken up in the Provincial Anti-Drugs Coordinating Council meeting this Friday.

   He said he was informed that the abductors were drug-crazed youths.

   He said the PNP findings, that the body who they believe was Marijoy's was raped and brutalized before thrown off the Tan-awan cliff, supports this theory.

   The governor also received another report that Dionisio Chiong was privy to the illegal operations of a drug lord and that his daughters were abducted to stop him from giving the PNP details of the operation.

   If this report is true, he said, Cebu's drug problem is more serious than it seems, and must be dealt with properly.

   Meanwhile, Capitol's media affairs consultant, Sam Costanilla, clarified that the governor's wife. Esperanza, was not involved in the transfer of the body of Marijoy from Carcar to Cebu city.

   Costanilla said the governor's daughter-in-law, Chabing Garcia, phoned the funeral parlor in Carcar. GC/JBG/KNR

Comments: Once again the head of the Task Force Chiong has directed the PNP crime laboratory to lift fingerprints from the items found from Marijoy such as masking tape, handcuffs, clothes and an apple-type grenade. Note, no mention is made on the mysterious computer diskette which suddenly surfaced more than a year later, during the trial. Please visit Part 8 of this website for more on this mystery.....

     Also, all of a sudden, the Chiongs are now saying that their daughters were abducted by drug-crazed youths. As if preparing for what was coming and dispelling reports the Cebu governor had received that Dionisio Chiong was privy to the illegal operations of a drug lord and that his daughters were abducted to stop him from giving the PNP details of the operation.

NOTE:  1.  RED COLOR OURS FOR EMPHASIS.                                                                                
   2. THE ABOVE TEXT IS THE FAITHFUL REPRODUCTION OF THE ORIGINAL
DOCUMENT REFORMATTED FOR  CLEARER APPRECIATION.             

              GO BACK TO                   GO TO THE         
             HOME                NEXT ISSUE